Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum
The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum is located north of Paradise, Michigan along the coast of Lake Superior at the Whitefish Point Light Station. This museum features the many famous shipwrecks that have happened across the Great Lakes. The museum is currently maintained and operated by the Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society.
The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum opened its first exhibits to the public in 1985 and has grown to host over 60,000 visitors each year. The museum displays artifacts from local shipwrecks including the bell from the world-famous SS Edmund Fitzgerald. Other artifacts are on loan from the state of Michigan including pieces from the wrecks of the Comet, John B. Cowle, Drake, Samuel Mather, Miztec, Myron, Niagara, John M. Osborn, Sagamore, Superior City, and Vienna.
Another highlight of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum is the historic light tower that has provided safe passage through the nearby waters since the 1800’s. The original tower was made of stone in 1848 and used whale oil to fuel the light. However due to its inadequacy in holding up to Lake Superior’s powerful storms, the tower was upgraded to a steel structure in 1861. The order for the replacement came from President Lincoln and the steel structure is still in use today. The light was automated in 1971 but still remains in use today.
For more information about the museum including exhibits, hours, and events, please visit their website at https://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/